Tuesday 5 May 2009

Dave Pundit's Player Of The Year Nominees

Hi, I'm Dave Pundit. I could of course make predictions for tonight's Champions League matches but everything I said in my last prediction still holds true. Man Utd and Chelsea will both win it's the only way to get the all-English final that football deserves. And I'd hate to be in danger of repeating myself. That's just not my style at all.

So instead of repeating myself - which is just not my style at all - I shall instead give you a list of the nominees for Dave Pundit's Player of The Year. The results will be revealed at the end of the season.

Steven Gerrard
Mr Liverpool has, as always, been fantastic. He can pick a pass, he can blaze a shot in from thirty yards and along with Jamie Carragher he single handedly won virtually all of Liverpool's games this season. Especially their stunning victory over Man Utd. Stevie G is not only a fantastic player he's also a fantastic example to the youngsters. In an age where foreigners will go down at the slightest hint of a touch Gerrard proves you don't have to dive to win matches. He's as honest as every good Scouser.

John Terry
If I didn't know better I'd swear John Terry was made entirely of grit. But I do know better. He's 50% grit, 50% determination and 50% hard work. Which all adds to 100% English lion. He's also the England captain which is fantastic, maybe by the next World Cup we'll be able to field an entire team of John Terry's. We'd be unbeatable, plus we wouldn't ever have the problem of having a player sent off because all referees know you can't send off the England captain.

Rio Ferdinand
A lot of people bemoan the loss of the beautiful game but I don't think anyone can question Ferdinand's beauty. But never let it be said he doesn't know how to win ugly. In fact he's taken over from Steve Bruce in the Man Utd defence in that department. And I can think of no higher compliment.

Ryan Giggs
He's old, so he deserves a mention.

Robbie Keane
You may be able to spot the major difference between Keane and the other nominees, he's the only one who isn't one of the big four. But it's about time one of them gave him a chance, he'd set the premiership alight at one of the big clubs. However he does fit in to the list in another respect he's a true British great. In fact I don't think anyone would be offended if I said he was as English as Oliver Cromwell.

So there you have it. My nominees for Player of the Year and unlike the so called 'official' awards these ones aren't ruined by a bunch of foreign fancy dan players ruining our game with their skill, precision and ability. What place do attributes like that have in a player of the year competition? No one ever won a match by playing good football.

3 comments:

  1. I can't figure out if this blog is really jingoistic and xenophobic, or is meant as a satire! Hopefully the latter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Satire you moron!

    Keep it up Dave, we miss your posts on the 606 forums!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ADM, what if it's jingoistic satire?

    ReplyDelete