Friday 14 October 2011

Dave Pundit's Predictions 15/10/11

Hi, I'm Dave Pundit. The subject of gambling in sport has reared it's ugly head again. In fact the only subject that rears it's ugly head more at the moment is Carlos Tevez. I personally can't see the problem with sportsmen gambling. I remember when I was at Liverpool an up and coming young defender bet me he'd play more first team games than me, but I showed him. I shattered his fibula in training and he was out for a year and played no games. Nothing gave me greater pleasure than at the end of the season when I could rub it in his teenage, Captain Scarlet looking face that it was a draw.

Liverpool v Man Utd
I find it ridiculous that Wayne Rooney has been banned for the first three games of Euro 2012, he's the white Pele for God's sake. Still England's loss is Man Utd's gain and the partnership he's struck up with Ashley Young - the black Pele - is something England will never have. However, they're coming up against an in form Liverpool side who'll be boosted by the return of Steven "The other white Pele" Gerrard. Let's just hope none of these Peles end up firing blanks.
Verdict: 1-1

Man City v Aston Villa
Turbulent times at Man City and I personally blame Mancini for signing an Argentinian in the first place. Does he not remember the Falklands? You wouldn't catch the likes of Alex Ferguson doing that. In many ways Alex McLeish is the new Alex Ferguson. He's Scottish and he's a manager. It's uncanny. I think this will be a close run thing.
Verdict: 2-2

Norwich v Swansea
Last year I wouldn't have had to have pretended to have an opinion on what is clearly a substandard fixture. But this year I can't wait to see this titanic struggle between two teams in the greatest league in the world. Even if one of the teams is Welsh.
Verdict: 0-0

QPR v Blackburn
QPR have been pretty hit and miss this year as have Blackburn. So this is game is a pundit's nightmare. It's literally unpredictable.
Verdict: 2-0

Stoke v Fulham
Stoke are the last great old-fashioned football team. From top to bottom they exude the sort of values that seem to have been lost from the beautiful game. Not for them the fancy passing, clean tackling or entertaining football. No, they've stuck to their guns and you have to respect them for that. In many ways they're the footballing equivalent of that most enduring of haircuts; the mullet. Fulham on the other hand are possibly a short back and sides, a bit boring but perfectly acceptable. Until they stop hiring foreign managers they'll never have the class of the business on top, party at the back look.
Verdict: 2-1

Wigan v Bolton
A few years ago this would've been a fixture I would've gone out of my way to see. Two northern teams full of northern journeymen kicking lumps out of each other. But now they've gone and tried to play football and it's all gone to pot. It's no wonder they're both relegation fodder this year.
Verdict: 0-1

Chelsea v Everton
I can't believe Rodwell's red card has been overturned. It was a terrible challenge, one-footed and his follow through didn't even look vaguely like it would injure someone. He should be ashamed. Still even with Rodwell Everton won't be able to beat Chelsea. Not with the mighty John Terry. Villas-Boas may be trying to get Chelsea to play fast, flowing football but not even that can stop John Terry. He's a machine, a proper British one, like a Rover or an Amstrad. Built to last.
Verdict: 3-0

West Brom v Wolves
This is a derby that is close to my heart. Not that I ever played for either of these teams, nor have I ever been to the Black Country, nor do I care about the result it's just that a Brummie friend of mine once tattooed West Brom v Wolves on my chest while I was drunk.
Verdict: 1-1

Arsenal v Sunderland
Arsenal are in a run of awful form and long may it continue. They aren't, and have never been, a top four quality side and I think the fans are right to call for Wenger's head. Steve Bruce is another manager who is under pressure but I think they need to give him time, he's done a lot of great things in his career and to want any manager sacked at this stage of the season is just a joke.
Verdict: 0-1

Newcastle v Tottenham
The Toon Army are still unbeaten this season but I think they'll struggle against a Tottenham team fresh off the back of a North London derby win. Tottenham have proved time and time again that they are one of the four best teams in the country and Newcastle will have their work cut out here.
Verdict: 1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment