Friday 2 October 2009

Dave Pundit's Predictions 03/10/09

Hi, I'm Dave Pundit. Sometimes I look at the youngsters playing football and I think to myself "Dave, you're getting old." But with age comes wisdom, take Ryan Giggs for example, he may be getting on a bit but he's still canny enough to play his part for Man Utd. How he's never been picked for England I'll never know.


Bolton v Tottenham
Unlike their North London neighbours Tottenham don't need to play football to win games. But their strong British spine of Woodgate, Jenas and Keane will have to be at their battling best today because Bolton are capable of breaking anybody's spine. And that's how the game should be played.
Verdict 1-1


Burnley v Birmingham
Burnley are formidable at home. Tenacious, committed and full of good old English grit, just like a bulldog. In fact I used to have a bulldog which I fed entirely on grit. He didn't live long but he sure as hell went for the postman. That'll teach the Royal Mail to hire foreigners. I mean who's ever even heard of place called Guernsey?
Verdict 1-0


Hull v Wigan
First Burnley v Birmingham no this. Could this be the grittiest fixture list ever? I'll tell you what; I might not be able to predict the result but I sure as hell know there won't be any icy roads in Hull tonight. Because of the grit, you see. That was a joke. Maybe I should just stick to predictions, I'm far better at them.
Verdict 6-5


Wolves v Portsmouth
A lot of people would struggle to work up any enthusiasm for this match, but not me. I'm not even going to try.
Verdict 1-2


Manchester Utd v Sunderland
Man Utd showed what a good side they are in the Champions League this week. They may have left it late against Wolfsburg but they got the result and that's what matters at this level. I can see them doing exactly the same to Sunderland.
Verdict 3-0


Arsenal v Blackburn
Theo Walcott might be available for this match, which is good because I can't remember the last time an Englishman played for the Gunners. Cliff Bastin probably. It took a long time for Arsenal to open up Olympiakos in midweek and that's just not good enough at this level. Big Sam's Blackburn won't let Arsenal's fruity foreigners off so easily.
Verdict 0-2


Everton v Stoke
Everton struggle going forward. Saha is their best striker but let's face it he's a Man Utd reject. That says a lot about Everton's Champions League aspirations if you ask me. You wouldn't get a team like Man City, say, buying players who couldn't hold down a place at Old Trafford. Stoke have a long throw and that could be the difference here.
Verdict 1-2

West Ham v Fulham
Fulham were unlucky against Arsenal last week whereas West Ham are lucky to even be in the Premiership with Zola in charge. Height isn't everything in management but how can you take a man seriously when he could be twice as tall and you'd still have to kneel down to headbutt him?
Verdict 0-2

Chelsea v Liverpool
Football is a team game and both of these clubs have fantastic players all over the park but this can really be boiled down to Terry v Gerrard. The irresistible force coming up against the immovable object. You can only really see it ending one way: apocalypse. Or a draw.
Verdict 1-1

Aston Villa v Man City
This sort of game is a pundit's nightmare, and a lazy pundit would sit on the fence and call it a draw. But I didn't get my Diploma in Punditry by being lazy. I paid Steve Claridge five grand for it.
Verdict 1-1

5 comments:

  1. Brillianr as per usual Dave!

    The Beeb should replace Lawro with yourself!

    I too think the Hull v Wigan game has the potential to be mind blowing

    ReplyDelete
  2. But with age comes wisdom, take Ryan Giggs for example, he may be getting on a bit but he's still canny enough to play his part for Man Utd. How he's never been picked for England I'll never know.
    ***********************************************
    This sort of game is a pundit's nightmare, and a lazy pundit would sit on the fence and call it a draw. But I didn't get my Diploma in Punditry by being lazy. I paid Steve Claridge five grand for it.
    Verdict 1-1
    ***********************************************
    Great dave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right back on form, Dave. Or were you centre back I can never remember...

    'Triffic to see grit featuring so strongly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grit is good, and so are these predos, especially the 6-5. That one is surely going to be a cracker, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its so good to see the resurgence of grit!

    ReplyDelete